Learn & Explore
at D.C. Booth
Did you know the Hatchery has scavenger hunts! There are several hunts to chose from. Make your visit extra ordinary with one of these learning adventures! Stop by the Gift Shop or Office to grab these specially designed scavenger hunts!
Learn about our trout!
Did you know about The Hatchery Fish?
- There are 4 species of trout at the Hatchery: Rainbow, Brown, Cutthroat, and Brook.
- The average age of fish is 8 years old! (Oldest 12-15 years old and youngest is 3-4 years old.)
- Fish get sick like people. Please refrain from trying to touch the trout as it could spread germs to them.
- The best food is bugs or fish food, NO BREAD/CORN! Fish cannot digest corn and it can kill them. Bread is also difficult to digest and it dirties the water.
- The water’s temp is 32 degrees in the winter and 60 degrees in the summer. It flows from Spearfish Creek.